Friday, May 4, 2007

City Hall Promotes Biking through Safe Storage

Blue and gold streamers decorated the doorway of the San Jose City Hall Rotunda today in honor of San Jose State University’s 150th anniversary. As an alumnus and professor of SJSU, I was pleased to see so many people celebrate the university’s history.

I rode my bike the approximately 2 miles down Sixth Street from the County Government Center to City Hall, luckily avoiding the light rain we had earlier this morning.

City Hall promotes biking to work by offering a locking bike cage. Rather than leaving bicycles where they might be stolen or bringing them up the elevators to offices, city employees can receive the access code to the bike cage and store them in a covered environment.

I was glad to have a roof over my bike to shield it against the rain so I could have a dry ride back to the office.

When I got to City Hall, I was greeted by John Brazil, coordinator for the City of San Jose’s Bicyclist and Pedestrian Program. As part of the city’s Department of Transportation, the program offers bicycle safety classes and coordinates installing new bike racks around the city.


To help plot bike routes for Bike to Work Day, the program offers a great map of bikeways. This map is in addition to maps of the city’s extensive trail network. I know from experience that these can help plan a beautiful off-road commute.