Monday, May 7, 2007

Healthy Biking

The average person burns about 100 calories an hour sitting in the driver’s seat during a morning or evening commute. The average bicyclist, on the other hand, can burn more than 800 calories in an hourlong bike ride.

An important aspect of Bike to Work Month is the health benefit of daily exercise. Even though I have run about three-dozen marathons, I am still getting a workout from all the biking I’ve been doing.

Cycling is a cardio workout, which promotes heart and circulatory health. Riding a bicycle rather than driving can improve the circulation of blood, which can lower your blood pressure.

Cycling can also boost your metabolism and increase your muscle strength. Biking early in the morning can help you maintain a higher metabolism rate throughout the entire day.

As I continue to bike, I notice that it is easier to maintain my pace for the entire ride. This morning, I biked to a meeting with Santa Clara City Councilmember Joe Kornder. Joe and I discussed ways for the City of Santa Clara and Santa Clara County to work together on programs for our community.

I’ve even been biking on the weekends. On Sunday, I took a ride to the grocery store. For every trip that I can use my bike as an alternative to my car, I gain another opportunity to incorporate exercise into my busy schedule.