Friday, May 11, 2007

A Healthy Lifestyle for Years to Come

As I biked home yesterday, I stopped at a traffic light next to a fellow bicyclist, who lives in west San Jose and works downtown. We chatted for a few minutes, and he told me how he bikes to work every morning.

At 60 years young, he said he was in the best shape of his life, which made me want to pedal my bike even faster so I could say the same when I am older.

Even though people’s schedules seem to be more packed than ever, finding the time to exercise is important. One important aspect of Bike to Work Day is to encourage people who don’t normally use their bicycles to make a simple lifestyle adjustment and transform the commute to work into a healthy workout.

Even if biking isn’t a favorite activity, there are other ways to exercise. One county employee said she walks to work one day every week. Her schedule makes it difficult for her to walk every day, but she finds one day every week that is flexible to allow exercise.

Many companies provide showers and lockers for their employees to encourage healthy lifestyles. I have used the shower at the County Government Center more times than I can count after going for jogs. When I biked to the Valley Transportation Authority’s headquarters, I was happy to find that they offer lockers and showers. These types of amenities make exercising during the workday a lot easier.