Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I Accept Your Bike to Work Day Challenge

I will be meeting with dozens of other local leaders tomorrow morning for the CEO/Celebrity Bike to Work Day Challenge. With my bicycle ready to roll and my helmet strapped on tight, I’ll join business executives and elected officials at 7:50 a.m. for a bike ride from the San Jose Diridon Train Station to San Jose City Hall.
Expected participants include San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed; Councilmembers Sam Liccardo, Pete Constant, and Pierluigi Oliverio (Sam and Pete reportedly will be riding together on a two-seater bike); Gary Richards, also known as the San Jose Mercury News Mr. Roadshow; and Carl Guardino, president and CEO of the Silicon Valley Leadership Group, which is sponsoring the challenge.

During our ride, we will stop by the Bike to Work Day Energizer Station at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Library. I hope to see some of you refueling with refreshments and picking up a Bike to Work Day 2007 tote bag.

Once we get to City Hall, local business and political leaders will host a press conference to tell why they think biking to work is important for our community.

After work tomorrow, I plan to stop by the Silicon Valley Bike Coalition’s “Bike Away from Work Bash” at Gordon Biersch in downtown San Jose. Bring some cash to participate in a silent auction featuring donations from local Bike to Work Day sponsors. I hope to see you there.